Sharing is Caring


 Bonjour mes amis!

Settle down my friends, this isn’t going to be one of those blog posts where I talk about a French Cuisine. Ironically, our main dish for today will be about the wastage of food. Did you know that food wastage is one of the leading causes of Climate Change? Now take it easy, you won’t have to starve yourself, all I am asking is for you to finish that nasi lemak on your plate….or roti canai, I’m not biased here.No matter what you decide to feast on, reducing the food that you waste reduces the negative impact on the environment. Keep in mind, any initiative you take to limit your food waste has the ability to make a big difference.

Why has food wastage become a big issue? Well, one of the main reasons is that it just hasn’t been effectively measured. A thorough review on food wastage is required in order for us to be able to identify and characterize the problems so that we can find the opportunity to set up a standard against the progress that can be measured. Unfortunately, a large portion of all food waste happens to be where we love to be most at, our homes. This clearly indicates to us that people should be educated on the methods that can be used to implement food saving techniques at home.


Believe it or not, one-third of the world’s food is gone to waste at a cost of $750 billion annually. That is basically throwing away all the labor and resources that were used to get the dish you desired…..maybe think twice before you order a huge meal that you most likely won’t finish in a restaurant? We’re in the midst of a pandemic and it has affected the financial well-being of many people so think twice before you let food go to waste. The food that we waste could have been given to people that need it most, like the homeless.

For those of us that reside with our family or friends, managing our food can get a tad bit difficult since our fridge is just less than a few seconds away...I’m getting hungry now. Lucky for you, you have stumbled upon my blog post! I got some tips on how we can limit our food wastage no matter where our fridge is! 


Let us say Jamal and Ilyas are housemates, they happen to buy their food products separately. Jamal sometimes manages to finish up his food whereas Ilyas never fully cleans his plate. However one day Jamal was walking in the streets and saw a homeless mother and daughter sharing a small piece of bread and realized that food is a luxury to many out there and that he needed to be more careful with wasting such a blessing. Personally, what I would suggest is for Jamal and Ilyas to start sharing their food! They could set up a sharing shelf where they keep their leftover food so that it can be eaten by the other housemates. Keep in mind guys, one person’s leftover is another person’s treasure whether it is your housemate that eats it or someone else who is in real need of it. 


Another way we can reduce food wastage is by sharing our food products and cooking together. Serving a dish together will most likely stop food from being wasted….and it serves as a great bonding time between friends so now Jamal and Ilyas will be closer than ever! It might bother you that not everyone can make good food all the time, but hey! Everyone has that one dish they are good at making. If Jamal and Ilyas were my housemates, they would definitely not let me do any of the cooking so I really hope all of you are better than me at cooking. 


I do acknowledge that every household is managed differently and that communication amongst housemates about the tiny things tend to be difficult, therefore I am pleading with all of you to start communicating with one another and lend a helping hand to stop the wastage of food. 


Start playing your role my friends because our planet is counting on you!





Comments

  1. I will start sharing food

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one mujtaba! I will stop wasting my food and share my food more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information brother, Thanks to your post, I was able to learn a lot and reflect on my eating behaviour and to be careful to not waste food anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you gained something from the blog 🙏🏻❤️

      Delete
  4. اطلاعات عالی مجتبی

    ReplyDelete
  5. insha'Allah we'll be like jamal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestlyyy this is such a great blog! I never knew you could write so well. Good job! >_< I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Hoping to see more of you as well!

      Delete
  7. Mashallah, great post! 👍

    Another tip I try to follow is "Don't take more than you can chew". In other words, take only what you know for sure, like 100% sure, you can chew (or finish). I also try to eat every tiny and last bit of food on my plate cuz those ones have the most barakah 😉👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! It is about time people start realizing that. Thank you for sharing my friend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts